This Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze is absolutely delicious and it’s a healthy option for so many diets as well!
yield: 4 SERVINGS total time: 30-32 MINUTES prep time: 10 MINUTES cook time: 20-22 MINUTES
- 1 lb. asparagus, thick spears preferred for roasting
- 1 T + 1 tsp. peanut oil (Or use another neutral-flavored oil of your choice. Coconut oil would be delicious for this recipe.)
- 1 T soy sauce (Low sodium soy sauce is fine here; see notes about gluten-free or Paleo.)
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil (or slightly more if you like a strong sesame flavor)
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Break one piece of asparagus to see where the woody part of the stalk starts, then cut all asparagus off at that length.
- Put asparagus on a baking sheet and brush with the 1 T of oil, turning so asparagus is coated on both sides. (Don’t worry if you don’t use all the oil; just mix it into the glaze.)
- Roast about 15 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice to turn asparagus over if you’d like.
- While asparagus is roasting, whisk together the 1 tsp. oil, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- When asparagus is starting to get tender and barely starting to brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven and brush with the soy-sesame glaze. Then put the baking sheet back into the oven and roast 5-7 minutes more. Thinner spears will need less time and thicker ones will need more.
- While asparagus roasts for the final few minutes, put the sesame seeds in a dry pan and toast over hot stove for just over one minute, or until barely starting to brown.
- Remove asparagus from oven and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve hot.
Use gluten-free soy sauce if needed. To make this Paleo or Whole 30, switch soy sauce for Coconut Aminos.