Zucchini fritters or zucchini pancakes are delicious on their own or with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream. Enjoy them at breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack.
- 1 pound zucchini or Summer squash or both (450 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 ounce onion or two medium scallions minced (40 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoonlemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour(45 grams)
- 1/4 cup Oat Fiber 500 (or Bob’s Red Mill GF Baking Mix or more almond flour or coconut flour) (15 grams)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese(30 grams)
- oil of choice for frying
- Grate the zucchini on a box grater or in a food processor. Put the zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt. Mix the zucchini gently to distribute the salt and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Squeeze the zucchini out with your hands and place into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and scallion to the zucchini and mix together. In a small bowl, add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir together. Add them to the zucchini and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a medium to large pan over medium – high heat. Pour in enough oil to completely cover the bottom surface of the pan. When it looks hot, stick the end of a wooden spoon into the oil and check for bubbles. If the bubbles are moving quickly, then the oil is hot enough.
- Stir the zucchini mixture one more time and dip a 1/4 cup measuring cup into the batter, level off. Dump the batter into the pan and gently push it into a flat pancake shape with the back of a metal spatula/flipper. Cook for three minutes adjusting the heat up or down as needed, then flip, cooking for another three minutes. Add more oil to the pan as needed to prevent sticking.
- Drain the zucchini fritters on a paper towel before serving.
I did not even attempt to account for the calories and fat contributed from the oil for frying. The nutritional facts are only for the ingredients in the fritters
Calories: 81kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 476mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 6% | Vitamin C: 9%| Calcium: 13% | Iron: 4%