Crispy fried eggplant rounds coated in Parmesan cheese and pork rind breadcrumbs make a fun low carb appetizer or snack when served with Marinara sauce.
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTESCOOK TIME: 15 MINUTESTOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES SERVINGS: 4 PEOPLE CALORIES: 280KCAL AUTHOR: LOWCARBMAVEN.COM
- 1 pound eggplant (cut crosswise into 1 cm – 1/2 inch rounds, 453.6 g)
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds (1 oz/ 28.35 g)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese(1 oz/ 28.35 g)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Prep. : Slice the eggplant into 10-12 rounds, sprinkle them with salt and put in a colander to drain for 15 minutes. Dry completely on paper towels. Meanwhile crack the eggs in a shallow bowl (cereal or soup bowl) large enough to hold an eggplant round and scramble with a fork. Mix the pork rinds, cheese, and seasoning together in another shallow bowl. Ready a small sheet pan.
- Procedure: Pick up a round with a fork and flip it back and forth in the egg until completely covered. Pick up with a fork and let the egg run off. Place into the crumb mixture and cover the top with crumbs. Press the crumbs onto the top. Then, flip the round over with the fork and do this again. Lift the eggplant round out and shake off the excess crumbs. Lay on a sheet pan. Repeat the process on all of the rounds. You should have enough for 10-12 rounds depending on how big they are.
- Cook: Heat an iron skillet or a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Alternately, you can use a big pancake skillet and fit all on the skillet at once. When hot, add the oil (you will need much less oil in a non-stick skillet). When the oil is hot, add 3-4 round to the pan and let cook for 3 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel to drain then to a cooling rack. As you go, you may need to add a little more oil to the skillet or adjust the heat down just a bit. The eggplant will be brown and very crispy. Serve with tomato sauce, spicy mayo or eat as is!
Serves 4 people at 2-3 pieces each.