This recipe for Spicy Stir-Fried Broccoli Stems is for everyone who likes to nibble on the broccoli stems while they’re cutting it up!
total time: 21-22 MINUTES prep time: 15MINUTES cook time: 6-7 MINUTES
- 1 lb. broccoli stems (about 8 thick stems)
- 1 T oil (I used peanut oil but grapeseed oil would also be good)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diagonally sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
- 1 T soy sauce (I used low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 tsp. Hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp. Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 T Splenda, Stevia granulated sweetener, or sugar
- Cut off both ends of the broccoli stems, trimming away any discolored parts.
- Use a sharp knife to trim extra leaves or ribs from the stems and then peel with a sharp vegetable peeler.
- Cut the peeled stems on the diagonal into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a small glass mixing cup or bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, Chili Garlic Sauce, and Stevia granulated sweetener, or sweetener of your choice.
- Mince the garlic and thinly slice the green onions.
- Heat a wok or large heavy frying pan over high heat for one minute.
- Add the oil and heat for 30 seconds more, or until the oil is shimmering.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry about 30 seconds, or until the garlic is fragrant. (Watch carefully and don’t let it get brown.)
- Add the broccoli stems and cook, turning often, until the broccoli stems are starting to get slightly browned, but are still a little crisp, about 6 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, add the sauce and cook stirring for one minute more.
- Serve hot, with green onions scattered over for garnish if desired.
This recipe created by Kalyn to feed her craving for broccoli stems.