Make Flourless Egg and Cottage Cheese Savory Breakfast Muffins over the weekend and grab one or two for a quick breakfast during the week.
- yield: 12 SMALL MUFFINS
- total time: 45-50 MINUTES
- prep time: 20 MINUTES
- cook time: 25-30 MINUTES
- 1/2 cup almond meal (almond flour will probably work, but I liked the texture of the coarser almond meal in this)
- 1/2 cup raw hemp seed (see notes to see what I used)
- 1/2 cup finely-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional but good; can substitute any all-purpose seasoning mix)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Spray baking cups or muffin pan with non-stick spray or olive oil. (I’ve only used Silicone Baking Cupsfor this, but I think it might work okay in well-sprayed metal muffin pans. The muffin cups I used are just over 2 inches inches across, so if you use a larger size you’ll get less muffins and may need to cook them slightly longer.)
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the almond meal, raw hemp seed, Parmesan cheese, flax seed meal, nutritional yeast flakes, baking powder, Spike Seasoning (if using), and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs and then mix in the reduced-fat cottage cheese and thinly sliced green onions.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Scoop out the mixture with a small measuring cup and fill the muffin cups until they are nearly full, dividing the mixture evenly between the muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the muffins are firm and nicely browned.
- These Flourless Egg and Cottage Cheese Savory Breakfast Muffins will keep in the fridge for at least a week and can be reheated in the microwave or in a toaster oven. (I’m guessing they can be frozen, but I haven’t frozen them.)