Using fried eggplant instead of english muffins makes for a delicious low carb Eggs Benedict recipe. And learn some tricks to perfectly poached eggs!
Servings: 2 Calories: 624 kcal
Prep Time 10 mins Cook Time 35 mins Total Time 45 mins
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 slices eggplant about 1/2 inch thick each
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices Canadian bacon or ham or regular bacon, cooked crisp
- Paprika for sprinkling
For the hollandaise:
- Whisk egg yolks and lemon juice in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water).
- Slowly drizzle in melted butter and keep whisking until mixture thickens. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and whisk in salt and cayenne pepper. Cover and set aside while preparing eggplant and eggs.
For the eggplant:
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When butter is melted, add eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until tender and mostly translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- To poach the eggs, fill a large pot about half full with water. Bring to just a boil, then reduce heat so it is just simmering (I found that about 180F to 185F on an instant-read thermometer was perfect).
- Break each egg individually into a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and let the watery part of the white drain out. Add egg to water and repeat with remaining eggs, cooking each about 3 minutes and gently turning over each egg once during cooking. Cook until white is set but the yolk remains soft.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to let water drain off.
- To assemble, top each eggplant slice with ham or bacon.
- Top this with a poached egg, then drizzle with hollandaise (if the sauce has thickened while cooking everything else, simply add a tsp or so of warm water and whisk briskly).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with paprika.
Serves 2. Each serving has 7 g of carbs and 2 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5 g.
624 Calories; 54g Fat (77.2% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 758mg Cholesterol; 1335mg Sodium.