This Broccoli Gratin with Swiss and Parmesan is a great option for a Thanksgiving side dish.
Total time: 45-47 MINUTES prep time: 15 MINUTES cook time: 30-32 MINUTES
- 8 cups bite-size broccoli flowerets
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated swiss cheese
- 8 T mayo (use a combination of light and full-fat mayo if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 T finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil while you trim broccoli and cut into small flowerets. (I leave on a fair amount of the stem, but if stems are thick I recommend peeling some of the stem with a vegetable peeler.)
- When water starts to boil, put broccoli in and cook exactly 2 minutes (just until the broccoli turns bright green.)
- Immediately dump broccoli into a colander placed in the sink and let drain well.
- Spray a low-sided glass or crockery casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Put broccoli in casserole dish, spreading out into close to a single layer.
- Stir together mayo, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and black pepper, then mix in finely chopped green onion and finely grated swiss cheese.
- Spread mayo-cheese mixture over the top of broccoli (I used a rubber scraper to do this. This is not a sauce that will completely cover the broccoli, but a thin layer of cheese sauce on the top.)
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over mayo-cheese mixture.
- On Thanksgiving Day, this could be made ahead up to this point and kept in the refrigerator. Let come to room temperature before baking.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly browned on top. (I baked the broccoli gratin in the photos for exactly 32 minutes.
- Serve hot.