I love bread. I really do. It’s mostly an excuse to eat more butter. But I also love garlic bread. Since I am not eating grains or a lot of carbs now I need an alternative. These Braided Garlic Breadsticks are perfect to eat with a big bowl
- 8 oz. shredded mozzerella (about 2 cups)
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 egg (the dough mixes easier if it is room temperature)
- 1/3 each coconut flour, almond flour, and ground golden flax seed
- 2 T. butter, melted
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed (I press through a garlic press)
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400. Combine butter and crushed garlic. Set Aside. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- Put cheese in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gloopy (it should look like cheese fondue at this point).
- Mix in the egg and baking mix. You will need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients or you can do this in a food processor with the dough blade.
- Press into a big rectangle on parchment paper (it helps to wet your hands). Cut lengthwise into 8 strips. Cut each strip lengthwise into 3 smaller strips. You will end up with 24 strips of dough. Attach the tops of 3 strips. Braid the dough. Attach the bottoms and tuck under. Put the braid on a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue to make 8 braided breadsticks.
- Brush each with the garlic butter (using 1/2 of it now). You want to get some of the little pieces of garlic on them too. Sprinkle a little sea salt on the breadsticks.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with the rest of the garlic butter. Bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
|Amount Per Serving, 8 per recipe|
|Total Fat 17.6g27%|
|Saturated Fat 9.4g47%|
|Total Carbohydrates 4.2g1%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g8%|
|Vitamin A 8%Vitamin C 1%|
|Calcium 17%Iron 20%|