This Baked Artichoke Hearts Au Gratin with Green Onion, Parmesan, and Romano are a delicious side dish for any special meal.
yield: 4 SERVINGS total time: 85 MINUTES prep time: 30 MINUTES cook time: 55 MINUTES
- 1 pkg. (12 oz.) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, drained, and larger ones cut in half
- 3-4 green onions, green part only, very thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (or use almond meal for gluten-free and lower-carb option, see notes)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/3 cup mayo or light mayo (do not use fat free)
- juice and zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tsp. zest and 2 T juice)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic puree
- Preheat oven to 325F/170C.
- Thaw artichoke hearts in the microwave if they’re still frozen, then drain well.
- Cut larger artichoke hearts in half lengthwise so they’re all the same size.
- Use olive oil to grease 2 small gratin dishes or 1 medium sized baking dish. (I made this in an 8.5 x 8.5 inch square baking dish and also in the 2 small 7 inch round gratin dishes in the photos.)
- Arrange artichoke hearts in a single layer in the oiled dish.
- Then sprinkle finely sliced green onions over the artichokes and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Mix together bread crumbs (or almond meal), grated Parmesan cheese, grated Pecorino-Romano cheese, and dried herbs. (If the cheese isn’t finely grated you might want to buzz it in a mini-processor for a minute or two like I did.)
- Whisk together the mayo, lemon juice, lemon zest, and garlic puree; then mix in 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture.
- Use a rubber scraper to spread this over the top of the artichoke hearts, setting aside the rest of the bread crumb/cheese mixture.
- Cover the dishes with foil and bake in 325F/170C oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and increase temperature to 375F/190C.
- Remove foil and sprinkle the remaining cheese mixture over the top of each dish.
- Put back into oven and bake about 25 minutes more, or until the topping is lightly browned, and the dish is hot clear through.
- Serve hot or warm and wait for compliments!