I’ve really been missing onion rings since I went low carb. Which is weird because it’s not like I ate them a lot before. I guess, like anything, it’s the knowing I can’t have them that makes me want them more! I prefer beer battered onion rings, which these are not. But as a low carb substitute, they did have everything I look for in an onion ring.
Author: Mellissa Sevigny Yield: 4 Category: Appetizer Cuisine: Onion rings
- 1 large onion
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp parsley flakes
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil for frying
- Heat the oil in a medium saute pan.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Combine the coconut flour, parmesan, garlic powder, parsley flakes, cayenne and salt in a shallow bowl.
- Slice up your onion to a thickness of about 1/2 – 3/4 of an inch and break up the rings until you have a big pile. Add all of the onion rings to the beaten egg and mix thoroughly so they are well coated. Soak the onions in the egg for at least a minute, and then in small batches dip in the coating and then into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown and then turn with a fork or tongs to brown the other side. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
- Serve with sugar free ketchup or the sauce of your choice. Enjoy!
- Calories: 175
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 4g net
- Protein: 3g