Chia has become known as a “superfoods” in recent times, and it is pretty spectacular as a food! There are all sorts of health benefits from reducing arthritis to promoting gut health, but what I like the most about chia seeds is the fact that they puff up so much! Check out the photos below to see their amazing transformation!
This is what Chia seeds look like normally (i.e., when you buy them dry):
If you soak the chia seeds in some water for a bit, the outer part of the seeds will form this cool gel:
Because of this gel that forms, chia seeds are great for making pudding (or for adding into smoothies). It’s like tapioca pudding but with smaller pearls. So, here’s the recipe for a chocolate version of it.
- 2 Tablespoons (12 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup (72 g) chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon (4 g) unsweetened shredded coconut (for topping)
- Spices and/or sweetener of choice (I didn’t use any spices or sweeteners as there was a tad bit of sweetness from the coconut milk naturally)
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight (approx. 6-10 hours).
- Blend the mixture until smooth (this helped to get all the cocoa powder nicely mixed in).
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 4 g