Here’s something that’s going to change your home cooking life: You can make better vanilla extract at home in about an hour using the Instant Pot. Yes, one hour! If your mind isn’t blown yet, consider this: The Instant Pot will also give your homemade vanilla extract the intensity of aged homemade extract or high-quality store-bought vanilla. This vanilla extract is sweet and heady with a rich perfume and is only a few jars and an electric pressure away. It’s the perfect last-minute gift for the baker in your life, or a game-changing ingredient for your holiday baking. Here’s how to make this magic in the kitchen.
- 6 vanilla beans, preferably grade B
- 6 cups vodka, preferably mid-priced 80% proof, such as Smirnoff or Tito’s
- 1 cup water
- Electric pressure cooker with trivet or steamer insert
- 3 (16-ounce) canning jars with lids
- Measuring cup
- Paring knife
- Split the vanilla beans. Use the tip of a paring knife to split each vanilla bean in two lengthwise.
- Divide the vanilla beans and vodka between 3 jars. Divide the split beans among 3 (16-ounce) canning jars. Add 2 cups of vodka into each jar and make sure the beans are completely covered in vodka.
- Seal the jars and add to the Instant Pot. Place the lids on the jars and seal finger tight. Set the Instant Pot’s trivet in the bottom of the insert. Place the jars on the trivet with equal space around them.
- Add the water to the Instant Pot, seal, and cook on high pressure for 60 minutes. Add the water to the Instant Pot and seal the pot. Use manual mode to cook the jars for 1 hour at high pressure. When the cook time is up, don’t do a thing — allow the pot to naturally release its pressure for at least 1 hour or longer.
- Remove the jars of extract from the pressure cooker and cool completely. Use tongs to transfer the jars to a kitchen towel or cooling rack to cool completely before storing.
- Extract is ready to use immediately. You can use your extract within as little as 24 hours, but you can also wait, as it gets stronger within a week. Store in a cool, dark place. Feel free to move the extract from the canning jars to more decorative jars or bottles for gifting.
Storage: Vanilla extract kept in airtight containers at cool room temperature can be kept indefinitely.
Per serving, based on 4 servings. (% daily value)
- Fat0 g (0%)
- Saturated0 g (0%)
- Carbs0.9 g (0.3%)
- Sugars0.9 g
- Protein0 g (0%)
- Sodium6.4 mg (0.3%)