Omelettes, quiches, frittatas—oh, my! Today’s recipe highlights one of the most common egg dishes: the frittata. With a combination of meat, sautéed vegetables, cheese, cream, and beaten eggs, this turkey sausage frittata will be your go-to for a fluffy keto dish.
The frittata is the Italian version of the omelette but is prepared a bit differently. The omelette consists of beaten eggs mixed with a little liquid, cooked until set, then folded with a vegetable, meat and cheese filling. The frittata ingredients are similar to that of the omelette, but the ingredients are cooked in a skillet until the outer edges are set, then finished in the oven. Unlike the omelette, the frittata is more versatile as it doesn’t have to be eaten right after cooking. You can freeze and eat it throughout your week.
SELECTING THE EGGS
Remember: source matters! Since the main ingredients in the frittata are the eggs and this recipe calls for a dozen, it is important to know where your eggs come from. Selecting eggs doesn’t have to cause a headache, either. You may notice many of the products at your grocery store have many health claims on the labels; this is no different when it comes to the eggs you buy. You’ve probably seen “free range” or “cage free” bolded on the egg cartons, but you can’t just opt to buying those.
GET A BITE OF THIS!
Not only is making this turkey sausage frittata a good way to use up your veggies in your fridge, the way in which the frittata is prepared makes it a great meal prep idea. It’s easy to make and will provide you the nutrients the keto way — low carb, high fat and moderate protein. Not to mention, it’s also low calorie! Give it a try, and let us know
Turkey Sausage Frittata
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 12 oz ground breakfast sausage, turkey
- 2 bell peppers
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup lactose free sour cream
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Kerry Gold butter
- *optional 2oz shredded Tillamook cheddar
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Crack all your eggs into a blender, add in the sour cream, salt and pepper. Blend on high for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. When it comes to temperature add in the butter.
- Slice your bell peppers into strips. Add it to the skillet. Sauté until browned and tender about 6 minutes. Remove the peppers from the skillet.
- Quickly add in the turkey sausage and stir, breaking up the meat until browned, about 8 minutes. Flatten the turkey to the bottom of the skillet. Add the peppers over it, evenly distributed. Pour the egg mix over everything.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. If you want to add the cheese, sprinkle it over the frittata as soon as you take it out of the oven so it melts.
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 16.7
- Carbohydrates: 5.5
- Protein: 16.7