This low carb Supreme Green Bean Casserole is everything the other one wishes it was: rich, creamy, flavorful and made from wholesome ingredients.
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 55 MINUTES SERVINGS: 8 CALORIES: 300KCAL AUTHOR: LOWCARBMAVEN.COM
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cooked to your liking
- 1/3 pound bacon,cooked and chopped
SUPREME OR CREAMY CHEESE SAUCE
- 3 ounces onion,minced
- 1 clove garlic,minced
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or fat of choice
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoonWorcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoonsDijon mustard
- 3/4 cup unsalted chicken stock/broth
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoonsalt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup pork rinds,crushed (or low carb bread crumbs),
- 1/8 teaspoongranulated garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- Prepare: Preheat oven to 350 and position the rack in the middle of the oven. Butter an 8×8 oven proof casserole dish.
- Cook green beans to your liking. (I like to put them in a microwaveable bowl with 2 tablespoons of water, cover them, and steam them on high power for 4-5 minutes. Then I test for done-ness, uncover and drain.) Place the green beans into a large bowl with the chopped bacon and mix.
- Mince the onion, garlic, and parsley, keeping them separate and zest the lemon.
- Supreme or Creamy Cheese Sauce: Heat a large skillet (I use a non-stick) over medium high heat and add the bacon drippings when the pan is hot. Add the minced onion and saute until translucent – about 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes until soft. Turn the heat down to medium and add the parsley, lemon zest and wine. Saute for about a minute or until the smell of the alcohol has burned off. Add the softened cream cheese and break it up in the pan so that it melts more easily. Add the chicken broth little by little and whisk to combine until the cream cheese has melted. Turn the heat to medium-low and let the sauce bubble a little to combine flavors and thicken slightly. Add the cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk and taste to adjust seasoning.
- Pour the sauce into the bowl with the green beans and bacon and stir together. Pour the green bean mixture into the buttered baking dish.
- Topping: Crush 1/2 ounce of pork rinds by putting them in a plastic zip-loc bag and hitting them with the flat end of a meat mallet or rolling pin. Pour the crumbs into a small bowl and add 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Then, add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil and mix together with your fingers. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake: Put the supreme green bean casserole in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly around the sides. Serve.
Note: make sure the beans are cooked to your liking before adding them to the cheese sauce – OR – you could let the casserole cook longer in the oven.If the sauce is too thick for you, add 1/4 cup more chicken broth next time. It will be solid when refrigerated. Reheating will make it loose again.
Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 776mg | Potassium: 272mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 15% | Vitamin C: 29% | Calcium: 121% | Iron: 8%